Spending a spring week or two where the sun is always shining? It’s a great time to go, as it’s right between the cold of winter and the sweltering high season of summer rolls, and the Gold Coast is buzzing with activity.
Here’s what’s on the agenda for September:
1. The Best of Blues!: The Gold Coast Jazz & Blues Club first hit the scene in 1985, and they haven’t slowed down yet. On September 12th at the Arts Centre you’ll be treated to some of the very best jazz of the 20th Century. At just $28 per head, it’s well worth it to discover or rediscover the blues.
2. International Observe the Moon Night: Amateur astronomers and seasoned professionals alike will enjoy this rare chance to observe the moon and stars free from light pollution. This event is hosted at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat in Lamington National Park on September 5th and 6th.
3. Gold Coast Festival of Cycling: One of the most important cycling events in Queensland, the Gold Coast Festival of Cycling was developed by pro-racer Robbie McEwen. His dream was to bring an event of the same magnitude as the Tour de France to Australian shores, and boy has he delivered! This event is ideal for experienced racers, and there’s plenty of entertainment available for kids and families.
4. Swell Sculpture Festival 2014: Hailed as Queensland’s largest free outdoor exhibition, the Swell Sculpture Festival is held annually for artists and art appreciators alike. Head on down to Currumbin Beach from September 12-21 at all hours of the day and night to admire the unique sculptures adorning the Gold Coast shore.
5. Gold Coast Seniors Health and Life Style Expo: This expo is a must for all seniors, or those approaching their golden years. You’ll have a chance to find information on healthcare, financial planning, living options, travel, and more. There’s even free eyesight and hearing tests! This event is being held at the Twin Towns Services Club on 11th September.
6. Gold Coast Multicultural Festival 2014: Celebrate a day of diversity on September 14th at Evandale Parklands. Theres arts, crafts, food, and four different tiers of entertainment represented by up to 35 different nationalities and cultures. It’s a must-see for locals and visitors alike.
7. Gold Coast Folk Festival: Over two free, busy days on September 20th and 21st, you’ll experience some of the very best folk and blues at Country Paradise Nerang. Either sit back and relax, or try your talents at the open mic opportunities available all weekend. Performers include Wes Carr, John Schumann, Round Mountain Girls and more.
8. Boy & Bear Live at The Arts Centre Gold Coast: Back home from their sold out world tour, Boy & Bear are ready to wow local crowds once more. The five-piece band will play just one Gold Coast show on September 12th, so get your tickets while you still can.
9. Eliminators Hot Rod, Car & Custom Show and Swap Meet: Calling all gearheads! It’s time for the boys to show off their toys; this show is open to all restored classics, street machines, competition cars, hot rods, and plenty more. Entry to the Beenleigh Showgrounds is just $5 on September 21st, with kids under 12 entering for free. Bring the family and make a day of it!
10. 68th Sail Past and Blessing of the Fleet: September 6th will be a day of tradition at the Southport Yacht Club. This celebration will include a blessing of the water by Father Harry Reuss, and the Commodore’s official address of welcome. Entertainment will be provided by the Hinterland Community Band, and the Waterfront Restaurant will be open for lunch from 12pm.